This model in the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Museum represents the first electric locomotive to be used on an American railroad. It was built by General Electric in 1895 to pull trains through the Howard Street Tunnel on the Baltimore Belt Line, where steam was prohibited. It consisted of two two-axle units permanently coupled into one machine, and was followed by other B&O electrics. B&O No. 1 was retired in 1902 and appeared at the railroad centenary in 1927, but was scrapped during the Great Depression.